For more than 25 years, the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) ENERGY STAR program has been saving energy and protecting the environment. Studies show that while 90 percent of American households recognize the little blue ENERGY STAR label on products and appliances, many consumers do not realize homes can also be ENERGY STAR certified. Jeff Bogard of R.E.A. Homes is proud to be ENERGY STAR certified and a trusted expert in building energy-efficient custom luxury homes.
What is an ENERGY STAR Home?
ENERGY STAR certified homes meet the EPA’s strict requirements for energy efficiency. These homes are typically designed and built to be 10-20 percent more energy efficient than an average home built to code. To date, more than 1.8 million ENERGY STAR certified homes have been built and families living in these homes collectively save more than $500 million each year on utility bills.
Features of an ENERGY STAR Home
Home building is complex enough without having to know all of the details of energy-efficient construction. When building an ENERGY STAR home, Jeff and the R.E.A. Homes team help each family choose the most appropriate energy-saving features for their home. This includes:
- Complete Thermal Enclosure System – includes comprehensive air sealing, quality-installed insulation, and high-performance windows
- High-efficiency Heating, Ventilating, and Cooling Systems – designed and installed for optimal performance and comfort
- Comprehensive Water Management System – protects roof, walls, and foundation from moisture damage
- Energy-efficient Lighting and Appliances – helps keep utility bills low while providing high-quality performance and longevity
- Third-party Verification – backs up a home’s energy efficient claim with independent inspections and testing by a Home Energy Rater
Benefits of an ENERGY STAR Home
When Jeff and his team apply ENERGY STAR requirements to a family’s new home construction, an integrated approach to design combined with tried-and-true best building practices adds up to a home that:
- Is higher quality, healthier, and more comfortable
- Helps protect the environment and saves natural resources
- Has minimal air leaks, drafts, and moisture damage
- Offers improved comfort year round
- Lowers utility bills (uses at least 10 percent less energy; 20 percent on average)
- Offers a controlled supply of fresh air and reduced dust and allergens
- Maintains a consistent air temperature between rooms and floors
- Data suggests that they sell faster for higher value upon resale
ENERGY STAR Certification Differentiates Your Home from an Average Home
Why go to the time and expense of constructing an average home built to code when you can have a certified ENERGY STAR home that will, over time, more than re-coop the investment you make in energy-saving features? R.E.A. ENERGY STAR certified homes differentiate themselves from average homes by offering:
- Peace of Mind – Improved confidence of energy savings and satisfaction the home is built to rigorous requirements and independently tested and inspected.
- Enduring Quality – A durable home built to last combined with energy efficient features and high-quality materials and equipment.
- Wall-to-wall Comfort – Consistent temperature and controlled humidity levels throughout the house, minimized leaks and drafts, reduced indoor pollutants, and reduced outside noise.
- Proven Value – Better investment, uses less energy, lower maintenance costs, and higher resale value
To learn more about how R.E.A. Homes can build the custom luxury ENERGY STAR-certified home of your dreams, contact Jeff Bogard today.