The foundation for a healthier home starts with a successful building team. Choosing the right builder is one of the most important decisions you will make during the entire process. A good builder will walk you through every step of the way, making sure your priorities and project stay on time and within your budget. In contrast to most other builders, R.E.A. Homes works with a team of experts and is constantly looking for best building practices that increase efficiency and comfort, and minimize cost.
A Team of Experts
Many building teams only consist of an architect and the client. This approach is a disservice to the homebuyer. R.E.A. Homes’ custom luxury home projects always involve assembling a team with many voices at the table serving the client’s interest: builder, architect, civil engineer, interior designer, and client to name a few. Often, a landscape architect and “green” consultant round out the best lineup possible. The key is assembling the team prior to the start of the project
Tips for Choosing the Right Builder
- Talk to previous clients about their experience. The best builders will give you access to a list of completed homes and previous clients. Call these clients and ask them about their experience. Here are a few questions you can ask to start the discussion:
- Did you enjoy your overall experience of building a new home?
- Did the builder make the process of building a new home easy for you?
- Was the builder able to complete your home on time and within your budget?
- If you decided to build another home, would you work with this builder again?
- Take a tour of a home under construction or recently completed. This is a good chance to get to know the builder and get a better understanding of their approach and philosophy towards building new homes. Ask questions during the tour, such as:
- What were some of the biggest challenges you faced building this home?
- What would you do differently if you were to build the same home again?
- What is your favorite thing about the home and why?
- Ask the builder about his or her experience and credentials. Credentials are important, but experience is what truly separates the best home builders. Make sure the builder is experienced specifically with the type of home you are looking to build (traditional vs high performance) and has a good track record over at least 10 to 15+ years. Here are a few questions to ask:
- How long have you been building homes and how many homes have you been involved directly with building during your career?
- Are you a member of the National Association of Home Builders or other trade organizations?
- What other credentials do you have and how do those benefit your building process for your clients?
- How do you educate yourself to stay abreast on best building practices and new technology?
- Interview key trade partners and suppliers. The best builders should be willing to provide you access to trade partners (sub-contractors) and suppliers they work with on a regular basis. They can be a great source of information about the builder. Builders that have a good reputation with their partners and suppliers are usually able to get more value and productivity from them. Here are some questions you should ask:
- What is it like to work with this builder?
- What is most important to them during the job?
- Are they good at communicating with your company?
- Have you ever had any problems with the builder?
R.E.A. Homes has established partnerships with many of the best craftsmen in the region and has an understanding of the best products on the market. This knowledge ensures that only the best designs, workmanship, and products are used in your custom-built home.
This blog was pulled from R.E.A. Homes’ most recent FREE eBook – Custom Not Commodity: Why Custom Homes Are Better For Your Family. To learn more about benefits of a custom home download this Free eBook: